Library of Babel 3D
A downloadable Simulation for Windows and macOS
This is my 3D version of the Library of Babel, inspired by the short story by Jorge Luis Borges. It is more of a simulation than an actual game, so don't expect any objectives or achievements but just let yourself be overwhelmed by the endless scale of the library.
The pages are loaded through Jonathan Basile's website libraryofbabel.info (so an internet connection is required).
You can search for any text by pressing "M" on your keyboard. This will open up the search (and menu) interface.
If you find a librarian, you can click on them and they might tell you something they "translated" from the gibberish of the books they've read.
M - search menu
Esc - close book / menu & deselect shelf / wall
Backspace - deselect shelf/wall
WASD - move around
mouse - look around
space - jump
(hold) shift - run
left click - select book
jump into the hole - quits the game
If you'd like to experience the Library of Babel with a VR lookaround feature you can try out the iOS or Android version.
- Improved performance
- Support for 19:9 and above aspect ratios
- Smoother transition between hexagons
- Increased render distance
- Improved Graphics (can be turned on in the settings)
- New Option to display the pages with a larger font size
- Various other fixes and improvements
- No need to manually deselect anything anymore
- Drag to move camera (got rid of the second joystick) [mobile]
- Search results now get highlighted
.. and other minor improvements and fixes
If there are any problems or questions, feel free to ask me!
PS: There's also an easter egg that you might happen to come across. If you find it then please let me know :)
Click download now to get access to the following files: